As her daughter Kiki, 6, celebrated her first birthday on Monday, Karen Kinkaid, a 30-year-old mother from Ohio, said her biggest joy in life is to keep her two children healthy.

But Kinkah’s delivery service, Kiki’s delivery, which began last year, has had some serious bumps along the way, including a couple of serious accidents and an ongoing lawsuit over whether the company had the right to keep the young girl alive after she was diagnosed with brain cancer.

“It’s always been an exciting part of my life to see Kiki and her two little girls,” Kinkamaid said in a phone interview from her home in Ohio, where she lives with her family.

“She was always a big part of everything.

She was always smiling.

She would always do anything for her family.”

While Kiki was growing up in a trailer park with her two sisters and her older brother, Kinkadis family lived in a three-bedroom home in the Cleveland suburb of Cleveland Heights, a two-hour drive from their home in Columbus.

But the couple, who were raising their two children on their own, was not able to afford the new trailer home in Cleveland Heights and decided to move to Ohio.

They rented a small, four-bedroom house on the outskirts of Cleveland and were living there for about a year.

It was around this time that Karen Kinks delivery service started.

Karen KINKADIS/Facebook In August, the couple moved to Ohio from Ohio and was immediately excited about starting the new life.

Kinkadios delivery service has been one of the busiest in the country for years, providing food, laundry, toys, clothes, and diapers to families of children ages 5-17, according to its website.

The company’s Facebook page has more than 11,000 fans and has more over 2,300 likes.

Karen’s daughter was a healthy child and loved kiddie movies, karate and playing with her siblings, according a post from the company’s account on Aug. 5.

But on Aug.-11, Karen’s delivery boy was injured while riding in a car with his two older brothers, according Kinkads Facebook page.

He needed surgery to remove two of his vertebrae and underwent a brain tumor removal.

Kiki Kinkayes parents and children, Kili and Dario Kinkays.

“Our son was a happy, bubbly little boy and he loved to play with the family and the toys,” Karen Kinky said.

“We are all devastated by this accident.

Kani has been a big, loving, sweet, loving person and a great dad to our family for the past four years.

I have known Kiki since she was two and she was always happy to help me out.

She is a great person and she will be missed.”

Kiki would have turned 7 years old on Aug-10, according the Facebook page of KikiKiki.

The accident occurred on Aug 11.

“A family member was transported to a local hospital and the child was treated for non-life threatening injuries,” the page says.

“On August 11, 2018, a family member sustained non- life threatening injuries while delivering a young girl at a delivery vehicle.”

Karen Kinkiads Facebook Page Karen Kiki on Aug 12.

A post from Kiki & Co., Inc. on Aug 13.

The post has more 9,000 likes.

The family did not return multiple requests for comment.

The Kinkadaises did not immediately respond to requests for interviews.

The two-year investigation began when Karen’s brother, Dario, reported the accident to his brother, a delivery driver at the company, Karen said.

The driver, who is in his late 40s, told Karen that the driver was taking the children on a ride on the trailer in Cleveland’s downtown area.

When the driver noticed the children were not wearing their seat belts, the driver went to check on the children, Karen wrote on the company page.

Karen and her husband had taken the children to a nearby park where they had a picnic.

The father told the driver that the children should be on the car seat and that the boys were fine, Karen posted.

But after the driver got off the car, he realized the children had not been wearing their seats.

The man called 911 and notified police.

A couple hours later, the Kinkades were at the hospital in Cleveland for emergency surgery.

The mother told police that her husband was unresponsive and was taken to a hospital.

A few hours later the driver, a driver named Kili, arrived at the Kinky’s home, Karen shared on the Facebook group for the company.

Karen said that Kili was uncooperative with police and didn’t answer any questions.

Karen also shared video from the ambulance showing Kili walking out of the hospital and heading to her home,

Tags: Categories: feedback